Welcome to Signs for Handshakes
Come Together: Deaf-Youth-Meets-Employers-Toolkit
Project period: 10/2015 bis 09/2017
SIGNS FOR HANDSHAKES is a 2 year European project with partners from Austria, Bulgaria, U.K. and Slovenia.
The projects aims are:
- Build and maintain strong links with representatives of the employment sector and the Deaf Community.
- Offer practical advice for employers on hiring young Deaf people.
- Increase job-opportunities for young Deaf job-candidates in the regular job market.
- Increase the understanding of effective methods of alternative communication in the workplace.
- Strengthen the use of Sign Language in the workplace (basic everyday signs).
Career aspirations of Deaf youngsters do not differ from hearing youngsters: hairdresser, accountant, plumber, waiter/waitress, artist, teacher, nurse, photographer, programmer, web designer etc.! Today, youth unemployment and joblessness is a complex problem all over Europe. This is especially so for young Deaf job seekers, for them entry into the regular job market is full of obstacles.
How to communicate!?
…is the first question, when employers become aware, that the young job applicant is Deaf? In fact, there are many ways that Deaf and hearing people can communicate with each other and work together very well. The first requirement is that both sides are open to each others needs.
- increased employment of young Deaf people,
- improved communication between employers, Deaf workers and their hearing colleagues
- better awareness of Deaf culture and Sign Language in the workplace.